Tuesday, May 14, 2013

National Buttermilk Biscuit Day

Today is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day, something I found out thanks to Foodimentary blog; In Knoxville, this is Biscuit Week as the countdown begins for this year's International Biscuit Fest which runs Thursday through Saturday. This will be my third year participating in the Biscuit Contest. I grew up on biscuits made with Bisquick and when I married my Southern husband, he informed I should learn to make a true Southern biscuit. Doing my research I learned great biscuits begin with a soft wheat Southern flour like White Lily, buttermilk and love. The first year I entered a Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato Biscuit in the Special ( Weird) category and came in 1st place in the category. The next year I went for an International entry with my Peruvian Chicken Biscuit, also in the special category and finished in 2nd place but got to meet Southern Cooking icon Natalie Dupree. Both entries used buttermilk as a main ingredient in my biscuit. This year I am entering a sweet biscuit and there is not a drop of Buttermilk in sight. It almost seems sacrilegious! So for now I am counting down the days to the Biscuit Cook-off and for another chance to take hope the trophy of Biscuit Queen. Stay tuned:)

No comments:

Post a Comment