Saturday, May 18, 2013

International Biscuit Festival Biscuit Bash

Last night we attended the Biscuit Bash one of the events surrounding Knoxville's International Biscuit Festival. The Bash was billed as a 'Meet and Greet' for Biscuit Fest sponsors, Bake-Off finalist, judges, demonstrators, VIPs, Southern Food Writing Conference Speakers, attendees, friends and family. The menu featured a Taste of the South with chefs and cook book authors pulling out all stops to showcase their talent. Thanks Liz Thorpe author of " The Cheese Chronicles" and owner of The People's Cheese, I have a new favorite cheese Sandy Creek, from Goat Lady Farm in Climax, N.C. I was especially interested in sampling Julia Reed, contributing editor at Garden & Gun Magazine and 4 x Cookbook author's offering of Bacon Wrapped Watermelon. All I can say is "Yummy" and I can't wait to spring it on friends and family. Another hit of the evening came from Knoxville chef Holly Hambright, owner of Holly's Eventful Dining. The dish was Smoked Trout Cake with Pickled Pecan Remoulade. Chef and Cookbook author , Regina Carboneau also got my attention with her Shrimp and Grits. The evenings menu offered something for everyone. The food delicious and beautifully presented and no one went home hungry. Attendees were also treated to a new full length film from the Southern Foodways Alliance, 'Pride and Joy'. The documentary directed by Joe York featured providers of Southern food from Virginia to Texas. Two of my local favorites, Benton's Country Hall and Cruz Farms were featured in the film. The film was a wonderful end to a beautiful evening. And now today I head for Market Square, put on my apron and compete in the Biscuit Cook-Off. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment