Sunday, September 15, 2013

Taste of Scandinavia by Sons of Norway Vikings of the Smokies

I lived for a time in Wisconsin, home to many Norwegians, Swedes and transplants from Scandinavia so when the Sons of Norway Vikings of the Smokies announced their third annual Taste of Scandinavia I couldn’t wait to attend.The smorgasbord included; potato sausages, smoked salmon, cheeses, pickled & creamed herring, Swedish meatballs, lapkaus stew, open faced sandwiches, cabbage soup, lefsa, kringle, ginger cookies, fruit soup and cream pudding.
While many of the foods were familiar to me I was introduced to Ekte Gjelost, a brown goat cheese. The cheese was strong yet sweet and was one of my favorite tastes of the evening. I was told it could be ordered online http://www.igourtmet.com and is sometimes available in grocery stores that have a large International cheese department. My favorite dessert, and there were so many to choose from was the Almond Cake. Simply delightful! The cake is traditionally baked in an Almond Cake pan but a loaf pan will work. Tomorrow I will be in the kitchen baking this delicious cake and it is definitely going into my cake collection. The event included music and the Trollkretsen Scandinavian Dancers, a casual recreational dance group that meets on Tuesday evenings at the Laurel Theater in Knoxville. For information about becoming a member of the Sons of Norway Vikings of the Smokies or a list of upcoming events visit www.tnvikings.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment